Public Relations Specialist
The Public Relations Specialist (PR Specialist) reports to the Director of Public Relations and is responsible for producing professional and administrative work that is engaging, informative, strategic and creatively presented content about Carter BloodCare, the blood banking industry, and the ways in which the organization is achieving its goals and living into its mission.
The position requires an understanding of publication audiences so as to conceptualize, write and edit targeted content, both accurately and strategically.
The PR specialist works closely with individuals within the organization and outside of it, to generate content, gather research, verify facts and proofread content before publishing.
The PR specialist is the primary intake for routine media calls and may act as a media spokesperson on occasion. May conduct community presentations and/or lead tours at the blood center.
The position collaborates with the department director in contributing to crisis communication planning and response; coordinates special events such as annual blood-donor-recognition banquets, donor center ribbon cuttings and other events.
Regular full-time attendance is required during office hours. Normal 40-hour-week, with daytime hours; some event and project assignments on weekends and evenings, mostly seasonal. Rotates ‘on call’ duties.
Position requires discretion and use of independent judgment.
- Four-year degree from an accredited college or university required
- Degree in public relations, communications, journalism, radio/TV/film or similar, required
- Minimum of 2 to 4 years of public relations experience, with emphasis on AP Style writing, editing, and proofreading; media relations, community outreach and special event planning experience required
- A working knowledge of digital media strategy desired
- WordPress or similar blog/web page development experience a plus
- Photo editing experience also a plus
- Nonprofit fundraising event, banquet, and conference planning experience helpful
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
* Previous professional writing experience required. Writing genres include, but are not limited to, news releases, media pitches, talking points, email communication, blogs, presentations, memos, social media posts (as support to marketing team); marketing communication, web content and event program scripts.
* Knowledge of state and federal laws applicable to copyright material and other attributions, media engagement, Freedom of Information Act, and privacy laws.
* Ethical and transparent approach to the practice of public relations.
* Knowledge of public relations and communication planning and strategy.
* Ability to facilitate on-site events and act as blood center spokesperson when needed.
* Possesses the ability to strategically embed messaging in a variety of internal and external communication outlets to build the organization’s image and reputation.
* Understand journalistic approach to content creation; capable storyteller.
* Pays attention to detail with a high level of accuracy, including but not limited to facts, grammar, punctuation, spelling and appropriate use of language.
* Ability to discern news and its potential impact on the organization and brand; ability to successfully pitch newsworthy stories to media.
* Inquisitive; asks the right questions to glean appropriate information for projects or to develop stories.
* Ability to assimilate complex information and produce clear, concise, and compelling content.
* Ability to visually inspect print and online copy when self-editing or proofing the work of others, preferably using editing and proofreading symbols (on print).
* Knowledge of and ability to research public relations and industry best practices to assist internal departments in aligning communication practices and outputs with those of the organization’s strategies and Style Guidelines.
* Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
* Ability to maintain confidences, extremely important.
* Demonstrated ability to work on several highly detailed projects simultaneously with impeccable organizing skills.
* Ability to work individually or in teams; often with cross-functional teams in a collaborative fashion.
* Adopt an attitude of service excellence with internal and external customers.
* Ability to forge new relationships within the organization at all levels; and with media and community contacts.
* Seek to learn and gain new information and insights about the organization and the industry.
* Possesses a general curiosity that results in continuous learning and ability to ask the right questions that engage others in productive discussion.
* Ability to foster cooperation, rapport and teamwork while collaborating with a group of people working toward a common goal; problem-solving and team building.
* Ability to negotiate with, and maintain good working relationships with, vendors/exhibitors/service providers as required for events.
* Intermediate skills with Microsoft Office: Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
* Prefer prior experience with a media distribution, monitoring and measurement software product.
* Prefer experience with online newsrooms.
Carter Bloodcare is an EEO/Affirmative Action employer. CBC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants and will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an employee’s or applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic, and veteran or disability status. In addition to federal law requirements, Carter BloodCare complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. CBC is a Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 8590