MT/MLS at JPS Hospital
The Medical Technologist (MT/MLT) will report to the Manager or designee of Reference & Transfusion (R&T) Services at John Peter Smith (JPS) located in Fort Worth, TX. The incumbent will participate in all activities in the R&T Services to include but not limited to: 1. Support Carter BloodCare’s (CBC) vision, mission and core values. 2. Maintain compliance with the Carter BloodCare’s (CBC) attendance policies. Regular full time attendance as scheduled in the department is essential. 3. Perform testing and services associated with assigned departmental duties. These duties are in the scope of complexity according to accrediting agencies. 4. Participation in competency, proficiency, and educational opportunities. By accomplishing these duties, the MT 1 ensures that daily operations in the R&T laboratories meet and follow all established guidelines, provide excellence in service and meet the needs of all R&T customers.
RELIABLE AND TRUSTWORTHY
Deemed reliable and trustworthy through interview and hiring practices of Carter BloodCare (CBC) to include but not limited to reference checks and background investigation.
- Associates or Bachelor’s Degree in Biology/Chemistry/Laboratory Sciences or related field required.
- MLT (ASCP), MT (ASCP), BB (ASCP), MT (AMT) or equivalent required.
- Recent graduate from an accredited Clinical Laboratory Sciences (CLS) program within the last five years and currently board eligible.
NOTE: Must successfully obtain, maintain board certification (i.e. CLS (ASCP) or equivalent) and provided board certification documentation to the CBC Human Resources department within 6 months of hire date. - Previous clinical laboratory experience preferred
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Strong working knowledge of blood bank policies and procedures is required.
- Detailed problem solving skills, ability to provide instruction to customers based on the problems presented and provide options for corrective action and proper documentation of the problem and resolution.
- The ability to concentrate, understand complex problems and to collaborate and explore alternative solutions.
- The ability to understand, remember, communicate and apply oral and/or written instructions or other information.
- Extensive mathematical ability is required including familiarity with laboratory mathematics and computer skills (i.e. LIS, Microsoft Word, Access, Excel, & PowerPoint).
- Effective organizational skills, ability to organize and prioritize workload, attention to detail and consistent follow-through with a commitment to excellence.
- The ability to organize thoughts and ideas into understandable terminology.
- The ability to multitask effectively, to establish appropriate priorities, to recognize and do what needs to be done without direction to ensure that work is completed efficiently and support teamwork and cooperation with co-workers and peers.
- The ability to compute, analyze and interpret numerical data for reporting purposes.
- The ability to understand and follow basic instructions and guidelines.
- The ability to communicate with individuals utilizing telephones, computers or other electronic devices. Requires ability to hear and speak effectively on phone and to use a computer or other electronic device.
- The ability to communicate and interact effectively with others (internal & external clients, co-workers, etc...) in a clear, understandable, and professional manner (written & oral) at all times and comprehensive reading skills.
- The ability to express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken word, communicate orally with others accurately, loudly and quickly.
- The ability to apply common sense in performing job functions.
- The ability to make decisions which have significant impact on the department’s credibility, operations and services.
- Strong customer service skills and use appropriate interpersonal styles to establish effective relationships with customers (internal & external) and interact with others in a way that promotes openness and trust and gives them confidence in one’s intentions
Carter Bloodcare is an EEO/Affirmative Action employer. Carter Bloodcare provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants and will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an employee’s or applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic, and veteran or disability status. In addition to federal law requirements, Carter BloodCare complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. Carter Bloodcare is a Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 19778